Shell Science Lab Regional Challenge
A Program of NSTA
Shell USA Inc. and the National Science Teaching Association (NSTA) have partnered to recognize outstanding elementary, middle, and high school programs for their exemplary approaches to science lab instruction utilizing limited school and laboratory resources. The Shell Science Lab Regional Challenge will showcase the work of teachers, representing their schools, who submit innovative, replicable strategies to deliver quality lab experiences with limited equipment/resources, and award teachers/schools with additional tools, resources, and rich professional development opportunities needed to support high-quality science teaching and strengthen their existing capabilities.
★Elementary School Prize Winning Schools will each receive a lab makeover support package valued at $15,000.
★Middle and High School Prize Winning Schools will each receive a lab makeover support package valued at $20,000.
★A grand prize school will be selected for each grade band, including principal recognition at the National Conference.
★Prizes include Carolina Biological Supply Company products, including for K-8 the Smithosonian Curriculum, NSTA memberships, Shell Educators Cohort, mentorship, support to attend NSTA conferences on science education.
★The Grand Prize Winners and their principals will be honored at the Teacher Awards Gala and Shell Reception at NSTA’s National Conference on Science Education, during the second year.
★Applicants will be individual teachers of science in grades k-12, representing their schools in the following targeted areas
near Shell assets:
- Carson, CA (LAUSDs in Carson, Mormon Island, Van Nuys, Colton, Long Beach)
- Port Allen, LA (West Baton Rouge Parish)
- Geismar, LA (Ascension Parish, City of Zachary SD, City of Central SD, City of Baker SD, East Baton Rouge Parish)
- Norco, LA (St. Charles Parish, St. John Parish)
- New Orleans, LA (Jefferson Parish, Orleans Parish, Terrebonne Parish, LaFourche Parish, Iberville Parish, Terrabonne Parish, St. Tammany Parish, La Fourche Parish, St. Bernard Parish)
- Monaca, PA (Cen. Valley, Aliquippa, W.Beaver, Beaver, Rochester, N. Brighton, Riverside, Beaver Falls, Blackhawk)
- Deer Park, TX (Deer Park ISD, Pasadena ISD, LaPorte ISD)
- Houston, TX (Region 4 Education Service Center)
★Each teacher is limited to one application per year, funding is provided for the primary applicant
★Schools may submit an unlimited number of science teacher applications annually: each school is limited to winning two prize packages in total.